Categories of transgression
Level 1 transgression:
- Books at home
- Homework not done
- PT clothes at home
- Being late for school
- Not wearing proper school uniform
- Circulars, tests not signed by parents
- Not adhering to rules of movement when changing classes between periods or during intervals.
- Assignments being late
- Dialogue, negotiation: Principal, parents ( if necessary),learner, teacher
- Detention: school will inform parents before detention take place
- Special assignments
- Penalise: assessment mark will be influence negatively
- Temporary withdrawal of learner out of class
- Withdrawal of learner from group during intervals
- Withholding of certain privileges: sport / culture events
- Suspension for up to one week
- Expulsion: permanent removal of learner from school
Level 2 transgression:
- Arrogance/rudeness/disrespectful towards adults
- Disruption of classes
- Absenteeism of classes/sport/cultural events without permission
- Leaving school grounds without permission
- Insubordination ( refusing to perform reasonable instructions)
- Smoking on school premises
- Unacceptable behaviour during school events
- Vandalism of school buildings / property of staff
- Fighting / bullying of fellow learners
- Intimidation/blackmail of fellow learners
- Dishonesty during exams, tests, assignments
- Copying the signature of their parents
- Sexual harassment through word and deeds
- Use of bad language
- Showing/ owning of pornographic material
Punitive Measures: As in the above.
Level 3 transgressions:
- Assault : physical or with a weapon (including outside the perimeter of school grounds )
- Alcohol and drugs : use / selling of both on school premises or at school excursions
- Theft of school / teachers / learners property
- Gangsterism: belong to/ or take part/ intimidate fellow learner/s as part of gangster activities
- Dishonesty during examinations / tests
- Serious disruption of school program
- Human rights violations because of differences on the grounds of race, gender, language, culture or religion
- Sexual harassment
- In possession of dangerous weapons: eg. knives, guns, and any other weapon that can be classified as dangerous
- Serious behavioural deviations as seen by the Minister of Education as bad behaviour
Punitive measures: As above.
- Parents-Letter (must be signed) by parent.
- Phone –contacting parents telephonically
- Teacher is called in.
- Grade head.
- Phase head.
- Individual remedial.
- Mentorship program.
- Deputy Principal(s)
- Governing Body